This delicious rub adds many levels of flavor to your dishes. The cocoa, normally found in desserts, brings a little spicy but sweet flavor and may be used for pork and chicken dishes alike. Here’s what you need.
- 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup smoked Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cracked peppercorn blend
- 2 teaspoons of granulated onion
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Salt to taste
Thoroughly whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl making sure there are no clumps. Rub generously onto meat, cover in aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight before cooking.
Store in an airtight container.
If using pork, coat it in yellow mustard to allow rub to adhere while cooking. Don’t like yellow mustard? No worries, the mustard flavor does not add or take away from the meat. You’ll never know it was there.