This smoky take on a beloved classic will blow you away. Our Smoked Mac and Cheese is sure to please young and old at your next backyard barbecue.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-8 oz package shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1-8 oz package shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup of bacon crumbles (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of chopped chives (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked peppercorn blend
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Spray a 13″x9″ pan with cooking spray. Add the uncooked macaroni to the pan and pour the melted butter on top and stir. Add 90% of the cheddar and all of the pepper jack cheese. Add the rest of the ingredients reserving 1 tablespoon of chives for topping later and stir well.
Set your cooker for smoking using the Plate/Grate, vents and draft door configuration displayed to the left and bring the temperature up to 250 degrees. Smoke in the cooker for approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. Carefully remove the Smoked Mac and Cheese from your cooker. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and place under broiler in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Dress the top with a few chopped chives. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes to set up and serve.
You can substitute shredded Colby jack cheese for the pepper jack. Broccoli florets may also be substituted for the bacon crumbles.
Serving Suggestion – try topping your mac and cheese with pulled pork. Simply omit the bacon crumbles . . . unless you really want to “pig” out.