From Matt Moore’s best selling book, SERIAL GRILLER!
Spicy Gochujang Wings –
SERVES 6 (4 OR 5 WINGS PER PERSON)
Hands-On: 30 minutes | Total: 30 minutes
This spicy-sweet approach to wings relies on one of my favorite Korean condiments—gochujang. Have no fear, even mainstream grocery stores often stock this fermented red pepper paste, as well as the red pepper flakes (gochugaru) used in the rub, in the international aisle. If not, hit the Asian market or buy it online; it’s worth keeping a tub in the fridge. The wings are less spicy than you might think. The savory and sweet sauce tempers the heat just enough that you can’t stop eating them. Don’t blame this guy if you eat the whole bunch!
- ½ cup gochujang
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chicken wings (about 13 wings), wing flats, drumettes, and tips separated, and tips discarded
- Whisk together the gochujang, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce in a large bowl until smooth.
- Open the bottom vent of your Goldens’ Cast Iron grill completely. Light a charcoal chimney starter filled with charcoal. When the coals are covered with gray ash, pour them onto the bottom grate of the grill, and then push to one side of the grill. Adjust the vents as needed to maintain an internal temperature of 400° to 450°F. Coat the top grate with oil; place on the grill.
- Stir together the gochugaru, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the wing pieces. Place the wings on the oiled grates directly over the side with the coals. Grill, covered, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through cook time. Move the wings to the side without the coals. Grill, covered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of the wings registers 160°F, about 10 minutes. Transfer the wings to the sauce in the bowl and toss to coat. Arrange on a serving platter.