Here’s a great way to enjoy Taco Tuesday! Try this super easy recipe! Chipotle Chile Chicken Tacos with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, grilled on your Goldens’ Cast Iron Kamado Cooker! Follow these easy steps!
- 3.5-5 lb Whole chicken
- One quart buttermilk
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 limes juiced (divided)
- 1 fresh garlic clove (minced & divided)
- Lime zest
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper blend
- 1 lb. fresh tomatillos with outer skin removed
- Add the zest of one lime, one tablespoon of Chipotle chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon of Cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic(coarsely chop) salt and pepper to a Ziploc bag. Add the whole chicken. Cover with buttermilk and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the brined chicken breasts out of the refrigerator and pat them dry. Spatchcock the chicken(cut the spine out)
- Combine Chipotle chili powder, cumin, lime zest, kosher salt and ground pepper to a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle this dry mixture all over the bird.
- Set up your Goldens’ Cast Iron Cooker for roasting according to the diagram on the left and heat it up to 350 degrees. Carefully add the chicken poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper and tomatillos to the grill. Grill until the internal temp of the breasts are 160 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for 3-5 minutes.
Keep the cooker dome closed as much as possible so that you infuse your chicken with a nice wood-fired flavor.
Add the roasted tomatillos, peppers, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, onion and cilantro to a blender and pulse blend until it reaches the desired consistency.
Dress the chicken breasts with tomatillo salsa and sliced mini sweet peppers and serve.